Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Bangkok Experience



 My Bangkok Experience

Hijos y Hijas , Buenos dias a todos.
Just a week ago I visited Bangkok for the first time. I stayed there for one whole week.
Well, having set up residence in Singapore for the past 3 years, I am used to all Singaporeans
who can speak English, though others may not be very good, but at least they can speak.

Upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi  International Airport in Thailand, I was amazed at the very huge structure. Not only the building is huge, but also the giant image of their king is also displayed in the entrance of their airport.

Before I booked my plane ticket  to Bangkok, I read some travellers account of their experiences while they were in Thailand. I had known that taxi drivers do not know how to speak English. An advice was given that if a visitor wants to go somewhere else, we should ask a Thai who can speak English to write the address of your destination in Thai, and that upon boarding the taxi, you have to give the address written in Thai.

When I went out of the airport, I asked a counter girl to write for me the address of my hotel, which she gladly did. And, I did as I was advised, then I reached the hotel in good shape. Then I had my lunch  at the hotel and my first experience of Thai food  with peppercorn on it and some chili. Of course I was hungry, so I ate it. The after taste of the chili was enormous, so I had to buy some fresh coconut juice  on its shell and some ice cream. Whew! The chili taste still remains until the evening.

My purpose of going to Thailand is to experience eating Thai food for the entire week. So, After I had my rest at the hotel, I went out with the plan to have dinner which is purely Thai menu. To my disappointment, when I talked to the sales counter girl, she cannot talk in English, so I went instead to the mall and had dinner at  McDonalds. So frustrating. I thought I would have the same food until I will leave Thailand.

The Riverboat Ride was very amazing as well as refreshing. With a whole package worth 150 Baht, you can have the ride for the whole day and you can get on and off  in any chosen  landing that you want to. With more than 30 landings available, the  150 Baht is worth it for the whole day. In every landing you can  roam around and visit the beautiful places that Thailand has to offer. When you get tired of looking around, just go back to the Boat Landing and wait for any boat that comes, and presto….on board the boat again.

My best experience was having the Thai Herbal Massage at Dhara in Silom. The massage was heavenly and very relaxing. After the massage, lots of Thai food (with English translations) can be found along the streets of Silom. This is where I tasted the very best Thai food ever. In the menu, you can choose whether you like to put chili or not by just pointing at the drawing.  The drawing  shows = 1 chili; 2 chili; 3 chili  up to the nth chili as long as you can take it.  Also, the first time in my life I tasted the Thai Chicken Curry with a little chili in it. As they said, it is delicious and worth trying again.

Sawadee kap and Sawadee ka!

No comments:

Post a Comment